Venue & Travel
TEI 2012 will take place in Kingston, Ontario, first capital of Canada and one of the most historic cities in North America. A popular and easily accessible tourist destination, Kingston offers a compelling combination of breathtaking natural scenery, with lakes, the world famous thousand islands, and architecture. TEI 2012 in Kingston promises to be a memorable celebration of arts, culture, culinary delights, winter sports and, of course, technology.
The conference will be held at the Human Media Lab at Queen's University, one of the oldest universities in Canada. Venues will be located on its scenic campus, and at destinations throughout the pittoresque downtown area.
Local Travel: TEI Shuttle Bus and Taxi Services
TEI 2012 shuttle buses will run the Blue Loop on campus to and from the conference hotel on a 15 minute schedule throughout the conference. On Sunday, buses will depart from the hotel to the social program venues and on Monday there will be a bus on the Red Loop to the Arts and Demos Reception. For a detailed schedule, please see the Transportation sections per day on the Program pages.
Taxis are available through Amey's Taxi: 613-5461111.
Tuesday Night Pub Crawl
On Tuesday, after the banquet, we will be taking a tour of the local pubs and engaging in some tangible interaction with their produce. Full details are on the Tuesday Night Pub Crawl page.
Traveling to Kingston
Kingston is located equidistant from Toronto, Ottawa, Syracuse (NY) and Montreal. Kingston's Norman Rogers airport provides easy access to the downtown area with flight connections to Toronto. From the airport, use a taxi service to your hotel (Amey's 613-546 1111). Major airports at Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa or Syracuse, NY are easily reachable by bus, train or rental car.
Air Canada is the official airline for TEI. Participants can obtain a discount to fly to TEI 2012 using the promotion code: QXKVJRX1. To book a flight, access aircanada.com and enter the promotion code in the promotion code box when searching for flights.
1. The booking is to be made to one of the following cities: Kingston(YGK), Toronto (YYZ) or Montreal (YUL).
2. The travel period begins Sunday, February 12, 2012 and ends Wednesday, February 29, 2012.
TEI participants obtain discount for traveling to the conference by VIA Rail Canada.
1. The discount is 10% off the best available fare in Economy, Business, Sleeper, or Sleeper Touring class.
2. The booking is to be made from any station in the VIA system to Kingston, Ontario and return.
3. The travel period begins Saturday, February 18, 2012 and ends Thursday, February 23, 2012.
4. Fare applies to a maximum of 2 passengers per booking.
5. To book log in to your online profile, or create one prior to booking.
6. After logging in, on the “Passenger information” section, select “Convention fare” from the “Discount Type” drop-down menu and enter 12269 on the “Discount Code” box.
7. Tickets must be picked up at a VIA ticket counter (mail service is not available for promotional discount tickets).